I have never been to Vegas nor do I have the desire to visit Sin City. There is nothing about the city that appeals to me. Why? I don’t drink, party or gamble...Yes, I know I’m boring. It might be a fun experience but I don’t need to go there to enjoy world class cuisine or watch Cirque de Soleil. I’m simply not interested…
Of course I do understand the allure of Las Vegas. The city’s tourism motto says it all, “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”. It is party central and with an unlimited supply of booze for the thirsty tourist searching for adventure, it is no wonder the larger than life atmosphere attracts people to the glitzy glamorous casinos and hotels that line up like dominos along the street. So I can see why people are fascinated with the city but what they don’t realize about Vegas is the truth regarding its size. After all, one does not have to visit Sin City to get a feel for it. The city’s bright lights and loud colors splashed in front of you like an in-you-face-shiva’s-avatar kind of way.
Size does not matter but appearance is everything. Frequent visitors or residents there are often sucked into its field of gravity with the bigger is better mentality. My godmother lived there for a short period of time and she immediately wanted the bigger house, better car and just more of everything. But once she left the city and moved back here she felt as if the spell the city had cast over her was broken. It was as if she realized that the enormity and intensity of everything in the city was just a mask, an empty shell covering the dry dusty dessert that is Vegas.
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment