I shaved a dying man the other day. He had been in a coma for sometime but the reality of him dying didn’t really sink in until I started shaving him. Maybe the intimate experience of shaving another person really brings you a little closer to them. While I was shaving him, I was half listening to the TV. A Tide commercial came on saying, how few things in our lives are more tragic than watching a great piece of clothes fade in the wash.
I looked at the face in front of me. This was the face of a man who will never open his eyes and see the world again. This was the face of a man who has lived a life, who has people that he loves and who loves him. The face I am shaving so he looks more like himself when his family comes back to take him off life support. I looked into his face and thought "WTF is wrong with society when a statement of tragedy is used in a detergent commercial to relate to the wear and tear of clothes…and most people don't even bat an eyelash?" It was a perfectly typical sounding commercial, and that was the problem I had with it.
Huy…riding the crimson wave makes me so damm emo.
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment